Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert, this Strawberry Crumb Cake is the ultimate crowd pleaser. A deliciously moist single layer sour cream cake is layered with a sweet strawberry jam, and topped with a buttery almond cinnamon streusel for an irresistible sweet crunch. It is easy to make with only a few simple ingredients making it the perfect summer dessert!!
Juicy, ripe strawberries are the star of this deliciously summery fresh strawberry cake. Not only is it super easy to make, it bakes up perfectly plush and golden every time.
This buttery fresh strawberry crumb cake features three delicious and effortless layers: a tender, rich vanilla cake base, a jammy strawberry filling made with fresh strawberries, and last but not least, a luscious, buttery streusel. This cake is perfect till the last bite!!
Whether you are preparing for a weekend brunch, a party, or just need a go to breakfast to pair with your morning cup of coffee, this super easy cake is perfect for any occasion!! All you need is a few pantry-staple ingredients to make your strawberry dreams come true.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick strawberry jam – This quick strawberry jam only takes 15 minutes to make and add loads of jammy strawberry flavor. It’s so good, you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful!!
- Perfect for any occasion – Not only is this cake perfect for busy mornings and weekend brunch, you can also enjoy it for dessert!! All you need is a generous scoop (or two) of your favorite vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream!!
- Amazing texture – Thanks to the magic of sour cream, this strawberry crumble cake has a deliciously moist and tender crumb. This is also an all butter cake giving it best rich flavor.
- Crunchy Almond Cinnamon crumble – A thick layer of streusel provides the perfect crunch to this buttery, moist cake.
- Easy to make – This easy strawberry jam cake recipe is made with simple ingredients and each layer comes together in no time.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this deliciously easy Strawberry Crumb Cake:
Here are a few notes on the ingredients used to make this Strawberry Crumble Cake Recipe:
- Fresh Strawberries – Using fresh strawberries to make the jam really punches up the flavor and ensures there is the perfect amount of strawberry in every bite.
- Sour Cream – Adding sour cream to the cake batter creates an incredibly rich, slightly dense but tender cake. The acidity from the sour cream also reacts with the baking soda which helps make the cake super fluffy and moist. Make sure to use full fat sour cream.
- Unsalted Butter – Unsalted butter is used in both the crumb topping and vanilla cake layer. For the crumb topping, melt the butter and allow it to cool for 20 minutes before adding to the flour mixture.
- Baking soda/Baking powder – Helps give this cake a good rise.
- Eggs – Provide structure to the cake. Be sure to use large eggs at room temperature.
- Lemon juice – Adding lemon juice to the strawberry jam brightens up the flavor of the strawberries and really allows them to shine.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
Although fresh strawberries are a great addition to this cake during the summer season, it is very versatile and is perfect for any in season fruit you wish to use. Here are some of my favorite ways to customize this strawberry jam filled cake:
- Switch up your fruit flavors and use a different fruit for your jam. Blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries are all great choices.
- For extra sweetness, add a decadent drizzle of cream cheese or a lemon glaze over the cooled cake. Or, keep it simple and sprinkle the cake with a little powdered sugar.
- Add toasted pecans or walnuts to the streusel instead of the sliced almonds.
- For a decadent dessert, warm up the coffee cake in the microwave for 10 seconds then top with your favorite vanilla ice cream. Or a dollop of whipped cream!!
This recipe has not been tested with substitutions or variations. If you happen to try any that work for you, please let us know in the comment section below!!
How to Make Strawberry Crumb Cake
Here’s how to make and bake this fresh Strawberry streusel cake recipe:
Before you start, preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Spray a 9×9 baking pan with non stick baking spray and line with parchment paper.
Step 1: Make the almond streusel. To make the streusel, in a small bowl, combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Melt the butter and pour over the flour mixture. With a fork, mix streusel until combined. Refrigerate streusel until ready for use.
Step 2: Make the quick strawberry jam. In a medium saucepan, add the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Cook on high heat until boiling then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until jam thickens, stirring constantly. When ready, transfer jam to a heatproof container and allow it to cool to room temperature until ready to use.
Step 3: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda. Whisk in the kosher salt and set aside.
Step 4: Cream the butter and sugar. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
Step 5: Add the wet and dry ingredients. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
Step 6: Fold the batter. Remove the bowl from the mixer and with a rubber spatula, gently fold the batter 2 to 3 times, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure no flour is left.
Step 7: Add cake batter to prepared baking pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread using an offset spatula.
Step 8: Layer the strawberry jam. Evenly spread the strawberry jam on top of cake batter with an offset spatula.
Step 9: Add streusel and bake!! Remove streusel from fridge and sprinkle on top of the strawberry layer. Bake for 55 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
Step 10: Cool the cake and Enjoy!! Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Remove cake from the pan to the wire rack and let it cool completely. Enjoy!!
Expert Baking Tips
- Do not over-mix your batter!! Only mix your wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Overmixing will create a dry cake and may sink in the middle.
- Because the cake batter is very thick, spoon it into the prepared pan then use an offset spatula to smooth the batter into each corner of the pan.
- After removing the cake from the oven, allow it to cool for one hour in the pan on a wire rack to allow the jam layer to set.
- Be careful not to ovebake. Investing in a good oven thermometer is key to ensure you are baking at the correct temperature. Use a toothpick or cake tester and poke the center of the cake. It is ready when the toothpick comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. If your cake is browning too quickly, cover cake with a piece of foil.
- Chill the almond streusel. If you do not chill the streusel before baking, the butter will melt and you will not have those perfectly crunchy morsels of streusel.
- I recommend using a food scale to ensure you have an accurate measurement of ingredients. If you do not have a food scale, spoon your flour into a measuring cup and level it off with the back of a butterknife. Avoid scooping directly into the flour container. Doing so will add more flour to your recipe than needed.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Room temperature ingredients ensure your batter mixes evenly and traps air allowing your crumb cake to rise.
Yes!! The jam and the streusel can be made up to two days in advance. Allow the strawberry jam to cool to room temperature, then cover and chill. Mix up the streusel until crumbly, then cover and chill until ready to use.
Although they are relatively the same, crumb cakes have more streusel than coffee cakes which are generally prepared with less of a crumb topping. The streusel on the crumb cake is larger and more dominating than with coffee cakes. Coffee cakes also do not require streusel where as with crumb cakes, its all about the yummy streusel!!
Frozen strawberries can be used instead of fresh to make the quick strawberry jam but fresh strawberries are preferred. Because frozen strawberries contain more water, it will take longer for the jam to thicken. If using frozen strawberries you may need to extend the baking time by approximately 5 minutes.
Because sour cream contributes to the texture and moisture of this cake substituting it may not lead to the same results. If you do not have sour cream, you may try full fat greek yogurt as substitute.
I have not tested this recipe with gluten free flour, but if you have, please let me know how it turned out!! You can substitute by using a 1 to 1 cup of gluten free flour for all purpose flour.
Storage & Freezing
Store any left over strawberry crumb cake in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. You can also store this cake in the refrigerator for an extra day or two. Since this is an all butter cake, it will start to dry out the longer it is left in the refrigerator. If you plan on refrigerating the cake, I suggest wrapping it well with plastic wrap and foil and warming it in the microwave for about 10 to 20 seconds to soften when ready to eat.
Store cooled cake as a whole or individually sliced in a freezer safe bag for up to one month. Thaw at room temperature when you are ready to enjoy!!
More Cake Recipes You’ll Love
It brings me so much joy when you make one of my recipes!! If you try this recipe and love it much as I do, please give it a star rating in the recipe card below. And don’t forget to tag me to share your creation with me!! You can find me on Instagram @vintage_confections.
Best Strawberry Crumb Cake
- 1 9×9 square pan
For the Cinnamon Almond Streusel
- 1 1/4 (156g) cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 (110 g) cup Light brown sugar
- 4 (48 g) tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 (113 g) cup Unsalted butter melted
- 3 tablespoons Sliced almonds
For the Vanilla Cake
- 2 (250 g) cups All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 (113 g) cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 (200 g) cup Granulated sugar
- 2 large Eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 (240 g) cup Sour cream room temperature
For the Strawberry Quick Jam
- 2 (340g) cups Finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 (100 g) cup Granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a 9X9 square baking pan with nonstick baking spray. Line pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Cinnamon Almond Streusel
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Add in the melted butter and use a fork to mix until combined. Add sliced almonds and gently mix until combined. Place bowl in the refrigerator while you prepare the jam.1 1/4 (156g) cup All purpose flour, 1/2 (110 g) cup Light brown sugar, 4 (48 g) tablespoons Granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1/2 (113 g) cup Unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons Sliced almonds
Strawberry Quick Jam
- In a medium size saucepan, add the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and ground cinnamon and stir until combined. Heat mixture over high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Once boiling, allow mixture to boil for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium low.2 (340g) cups Finely chopped strawberries, 1/2 (100 g) cup Granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Cook the mixture, stirring constantly for 10 to 15 minutes until the jam thickens. Use the back of a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash any large chunks of strawberries. To test to see if the jam is ready, run the wooden spoon along the bottom of the saucepan in a straight line. If the jam takes a second or two to come back together, the jam is ready.
- Once ready, remove jam from heat and transfer to a heatproof container. Allow jam to cool to room temperature while you prepare the cake batter. (If making the jam ahead, place it in the refrigerator until ready to use. Allow the jam to come to room temperature before adding to the cake. If the jam is still cold before adding it to the cake, place it in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds to heat up. This will make it easier to spread.)
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda. Whisk in the kosher salt and set aside.2 (250 g) cups All purpose flour, 2 teaspoons Baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until light and fluffy.1/2 (113 g) cup Unsalted butter, 1 (200 g) cup Granulated sugar
- Add in the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Make sure to stop and scrape the bowl after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.2 large Eggs, 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. After each addition, mix only until just combined, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Remove the bowl from mixer and with a rubber spatula, gently fold the batter 2 to 3 times, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to ensure there is no flour left. Batter will be thick.1 (240 g) cup Sour cream
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Tap the pan a few times on the counter to release any air bubbles. Add the strawberry jam on top of the batter and using an offset spatula, spread jam in an even layer. Remove streusel from the fridge and sprinkle on top of the strawberry jam.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove cake from oven and place pan on a cooling rack. Let the cake sit in the pan for 1 hour to let the jam set. After 1 hour, transfer the cake from the pan to the cooling rack and allow it to cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or glaze if desired. Enjoy!!